Are you one of those folks who can trump your friends with music trivia knowledge? Do you pride yourself on always knowing who is going to be "the next big thing?" Are you kinda sick of Pitchfork? So are we!
In case you don't know about us (which you most likely do, as you're on our site), Knocks From the Underground is an online magazine geared toward promoting the best underplayed music in the country. Based out of New York, our mission is to raise awareness of local, up-and-coming bands through various ways: brief articles, album reviews, live reviews and full features. Knocks also hosts concerts and distributes music of up-and-coming artists. Knocks currently has branches in New York, Los Angeles and Boston.
Good, you're still reading.
We are looking for someone in New York who can meet regularly to discuss various ideas and work together, along with completing some work on your own time frame from home. You won't be coming into an office every day but we will be touching base via phone and email, along with our regular meetups. From the getgo, you will be thrown in the mix and become an integral part of our staff. We will be leaning on your expertise in a number of logistical and editorial support roles. This will give you hands-on experience working in both the music and publishing industry.
- Reviewing music (yes, free CDs and show entries)
- Attending, promoting and helping plan shows
- Maintaining our social network presence (Twitter, Facebook and [yes, we know] MySpace)
- Updating our concert calendar
- Fact checking articles
- Assisting in our public relations efforts (brand promotion)
- Helping us further our magazine (giving insight on improving our company)
- Must be enthusiastic about music
- Must be willing to help out wherever the need
- Have basic knowledge of how to use a computer (since you are reading it we'll assume this is taken care of)
- Html experience a plus
- Design skills are also a plus
- Must be willing to commit to the organization for at least the summer
If this sounds like you, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will follow up with those who we'll be conducting interviews with. In addition, if you are currently enrolled in college, we will work with your university to supply college credit!
Thanks! Happy writing!
We are always looking for new members of our staff and editorial team.
Are you an avid music fan hungry to share your intimate knowledge of a music scene? Do you live for music and have a knack for writing? Do you live in (or near) a city full of exciting, new music? If you answered "yes" to all of these, then you may be a great addition to our staff.
If you want to become a staff writer, contact The Knocks Staff with a brief bio and a couple of sample reviews to help us decide if you would be a good fit for our little site. Also, feel free to send us friends or websites you think would be good to share content.
Please note, at this time our staff (editorial, creative, executive) is purely volunteer.